Friday, April 25, 2008
Breakthrough
This may seem a little strange to anyone who doesn't know Nathan, but we are excited today. We experienced a minor miracle at lunchtime today...Nathan ate a ham and cheese sandwich. Without being forced. And without crying. And he even ASKED for it. I had given Amy some ham, and as I was standing there with the package, Nate asked for some. Now, he has been known to ask for a bite of a strange food and then get cold feet when it comes down to actually putting said food in his mouth and chewing and swallowing it, so I fully expected him to back out when I offered him some. He timidly tasted it, then chewed a small piece and swallowed. Then, he Asked. For. More. So, I nonchalantly suggested maybe he would like to try ham with cheese, and bread to go with it. I really thought this would be the end of eating ham, but he actually agreed to it! And he ate half of the sandwich! Like I said, to anyone who doesn't know him, this seems like a very odd thing to be happy about, but this kid once sat at the kitchen table and cried his eyes out when I tried to feed him peanut butter and jelly. And he has never even shown the slightest interest in lunchmeat. He also is not real crazy about bread. I have had to cook chicken nuggets each morning that he goes to Mother's Day Out, and wrap them in paper towels so they will be at least semi-tepid when lunctime rolls around, because he won't eat anything else. It seems he has always eaten a hot lunch in some form or fashion for the last 3 years and 10 months, so up till now, he has refused anything cold. The main course, at least, has to be warmed up. I did try once to send a sandwich in his lunch, but his teacher said he got pretty upset when she served it to him, and ate everything else but that. Oh, the lunchtime possibilites that exist now! I almost can't wait until next week to pack his lunch for school. You know you are a mom when you are (perhaps overly) excited about your picky kid eating a sandwich. I feel a little strange now. But I still want to do a small happy dance in my head. Way to go, Nate! Mom loves you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
atta boy Nate.
Pap Paw
Post a Comment