It was an interesting weekend around here. Not as interesting as it should have been, but still. I finally got to take a night off (without being sick), so Phil and I could head to my alma mater, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, on Saturday to watch our beloved Hogs take on the Ole Miss Rebels. I think I previously mentioned that the new head coach of the Rebs is the old head coach of the Hogs, a man who Phil and I both really liked as coach, but many Arkansans disagreed and managed to run him off. I worked Friday night, came home and slept for about four hours, got up and we headed out around noon for the 2.5 hour drive to Northwest Arkansas. Phil's brother and sister-in-law rode with us. We got to the campus in enough time to wander around for a bit and reminisce a little. One of the traditions at the U of A is that the name of every person who has ever graduated from there is carved into the various sidewalks around campus, so we hunted down the area for 1998 and found my little name. I have seen it before, but every time I do, I am reminded of what a cool tradition that is and I am proud to be a part of it. We also trekked past my old sorority house--another bit of nostalgia there. It seems hard to believe that I really did have a life before marriage and children, but the UA campus will always serve as nice reminder that once upon a time, I did have a social life. I would never want to relive that time, I am enjoying this part too much, but it is fun to remember! After that, we headed back to the stadium to watch the Hogs (unfortunately) lose by only 2 points. We had missed a field goal early in the game, and we all knew it would come back to haunt us at the end. After the game we drove 45 minutes south to our hotel and stayed over.
The next morning at breakfast, Phil and I were busy making plans for our day, since we had limited time after our arrival back home until Amy's birthday party. Then, after breakfast, Phil found out from his Mom (who had stayed with the kids) that Amy had woken up sick during the night...she had thrown up twice. So far that morning, she was fine, but of course we weren't going to take the chance that she might get our friends' kids sick, and we ended up deciding to postpone her party until next weekend. I spent the rest of the drive home dreading taking care of a puking kid AGAIN, but when we got home, she was fine and acted like she had never felt better. True, she didn't eat very much on Sunday, but she didn't get sick anymore, never had any diarrhea, and played like there was no tomorrow. We were pretty sad we had to cancel her party, but at least this way her Gramma can be there. She gets back from Africa next Saturday, so if we have the party on Sunday afternoon, she should be able to make it. If the jetlag doesn't keep her in bed the whole weekend, that is...anyway, that kind of sums up our weekend. What is that saying about the best laid plans? Fortunately, Amy is too oblivious to realize that she was supposed to have a party and presents and cake yesterday. Next weekend will be fine, I guess, but I feel a little funny having a costume party AFTER Halloween. I'm sure the kids will be happy to wear their costumes again. Nathan might decide to wear his costume every day.
Also, congratulations to Nathan and his soccer team on the completion of their season. We are celebrating with his team tonight at a pizza party. I think Nathan really enjoyed playing soccer, thought he never did get it. He loved running around of the field, but was never at the front of the pack trying to get the ball. Even when it was his turn to kick off, once that was done, he acted like he had fulfilled his mission and all he had to do now was run around some more. Pretty comical, but it seemed to me that he was the only kid who didn't make the connection by the end of the season. Could be soccer isn't his thing, but he at least goes to the games and practices and has fun. We start up again in the Spring, so we'll see how it goes then.
No comments:
Post a Comment