Well, after two days in the new daycare, I believe it is safe to say that Amy has adjusted well to the change. Yesterday when I dropped her off, she had a look on her face like she thought I might be crazy for leaving here there, and she was a little clingy for a minute or two, but she quickly got involved in the activites happening in the room and I was able to leave without a tear being shed. When I picked her up that afternoon, she had a big smile on her face, had been playing outside, had eaten a good lunch, and had taken a two hour nap. She had also managed to use the potty a time or two! I felt the day was an overwhelming success, but I had some reservations about how things would go today. I was wondering if she thought it was okay for the one day, but when she realized she would be going back she would be unhappy. However, all concern was for naught. She easily left her Daddy when he took her in today, and had another great day. An even better day, in fact, because she used the potty All Day Long! I am so relieved about how easy this has been. She has always been more laid back about new things than her brother is, but the only place she has ever been to for child care is Abundant Life. I really didn't know how she would take the change. I should have known she would be fine. I just have memories of taking Nate to daycare when he was younger. We started him in daycare when he was about 14 months old, which is a pretty rough time in the separation anxiety area anyway. To put it lightly, he did not take to daycare with much finesse. He cried every single day when we dropped him off for at least 3 months, if not longer. His teacher said he would stop crying almost immediately after we left him, but it was still pretty traumatic trying to detach a wailing kid and get out of the room. We have changed his daycare twice since then, and each time we were worried that he would regress back to the crying and clinging, but he managed pretty well. I guess once he figured out that we were always going to come back and get him, he was okay. Now, he really enjoys school, and he has some great friends and a wonderful teacher. I am looking forward to him starting Big School this Fall.
And so anyway, Amy's school transition is a success. She seems happy and well-adjusted, and it has only been two days. Ahhh, relief. I hope this will continue to be a good place for her, since she will have to spend the next three years there. Poor thing, with such a late birthday, she will be almost six before she can start school. Just like her Mama.
1 comment:
So what is Nate doing while Amy is at school?
Post a Comment