We had a pretty good week to start off our Summer Vacation this year. Nate actually started his last week, when he and Blake spent a few days at MeMe and Papaw's house, but not Amy. It was a bit of a challenge trying to keep her from finding out that her brother got to go to MeMe's and she didn't, but it wasn't as big a challenge as we were afraid it would be. She seemed satisfied with the answer "He's with Blake," when she asked where Nate was. Apparently she doesn't understand yet that I didn't answer her question so much. Ok by me. Anyway, the boys came back to town last Friday, I worked Friday and Saturday nights (as usual), and Sunday afternoon, we got in a little pool time at Gramma and Grampa's house. The water was a little chilly for the grown-ups, but the kids didn't seem to mind at all. Amy fell in almost immediately, but fortunately she was right by the steps and Grampa and I were right there as well. After that, she was quite a bit more timid, which in turn meant she was quite a bit more careful. Sunday evening, we had my family over to grill hot dogs and brats, and we managed to nail down some plans for our big trip to Minnesota in July. We'll see all of you guys on July 20th!
On Monday, Nate started swimming lessons at the local rec center. He was pretty nervous upon arrival, to the point of a few tears, but once he got going he was fine. After that, I bravely ventured to Wild River Country with both kids and no backup adult. Swimming lessons lasted until eleven, and by the time we made it out to the water park, it was noon. Had I remembered to pack Amy's swim diapers and my sunscreen we might have managed to get there a tad earlier. It wouldn't have mattered that much though, since we stood in line for our season passes for 45 minutes in the blazing noon sun with nothing to drink and no shade in sight. It's ok, by the time we got inside the gate, we were all READY to get in the water. We had a really good time! There were a few of my work friends and their kids there, so we hung out with them at the Baby and Toddler pool mostly. We made a few trips over to the Wave Pool, but the kids had just as much fun in the baby area as they did in the big pool. Amy must have remembered falling in Grampa's pool, because she pretty much stayed near the edge of the water or right by my side, and didn't go any deeper than her waist. Nate, on the other hand, was a little fish. We stayed about 2 1/2 hours, and there weren't even any tears when we left. Both kids fell asleep in the car on the way home.
Tuesday was uneventful: swimming lessons in the morning, and then back home. I had to work Tuesday night, so we just hung around the house, except for a quick trip to Target to get a few summer supplies, like beach towels and a couple of bathing suits for Amy.
Wednesday morning, the kids were with my mom. She has graciously offered to keep them every Wednesday during the month of June so I can work my extra shifts. She had some vacation days she needed to use up, and she knew I needed a babysitter. It works out pretty nicely if you ask me! And I didn't even ask her to do this, she OFFERED! Amazing. Anyway, she came over that morning, took the kids to swimming lessons, then to lunch at McDonald's, and then back to her house. Once there, she let the kids watch movies and play on the Wii, and she gave Amy her first mani/pedi. Amy is very proud of her light pink finger- and toenails! That afternoon we were supposed to go over to some friends' house for a cookout, but got rained out. Instead, we had a nice evening at home.
Thursday was Grant and Reagan's first day of Summer Vacation. Reagan is taking swimming lessons with Nate, but Grant is a pretty good swimmer now, so Alison didn't make him take lessons again. After the lesson, Reagan came home with us while Alison and Grant went to do a little shopping. We met Phil at a Mexican restaurant for supper (and Margaritas!), and then he took the kids home while I went to the grocery store. It's kind of sad that a trip to the store by myself almost feels like a mini-vacation...oh well. As a parent I have to relish the little things.
Today, we slept in a little. No swimming lessons on Fridays. The kids are currently playing over at Alison's, and I am finishing up the laundry and cleaning the house up a bit. I (of course) have to work later, and tomorrow night, but on Sunday the weather is supposed to be nice so we may make a family trip to Wild River Country. Two trips to WRC = season passes paid for. As of right now, I'm not sure what we will do next week. Phil is traveling for work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but he shouldn't be gone much more than his normal work hours. I am looking forward to lots of swimming, sun, cooking out, relaxing, and then in July, road-tripping to see our family. Loving Summertime!!
No comments:
Post a Comment