Thursday, November 4, 2010
Runner?
Me? Really? I don't know that the description applies to me YET, but I am working on it. I never thought I would be someone who looked forward to excercising, or scheduled my day so I could exercise, or would go outside and exercise IN THE RAIN...but it has happened. I am now three weeks and one day into the Couch to 5K beginner's running program, and I am really enjoying it. I am not sure what it is. It may still be the challenge of it--can I do it? Can I increase my running time? Can I get past the shin pain that bothered me during week two, or the knee pain that almost brought me to tears at the beginning of week three? Can I run for a minute, and then for a minute and a half, and then three minutes, and now five minutes without throwing up? Can I keep up the progress even though the weather is getting cooler, and is sometimes wet and blustery? The answer to all of these things is YES!!! I can do all of the above!!! I have now gone out two different times in the sprinkling rain. I have been able to keep up with the program's progression. The shin pain is gone, and the knee pain is so much better that I didn't need to put ice packs on them after my run today. My ibuprofen use has dropped off dramatically. Today I was able to run for three minutes, then five minutes, then three minutes, and then five minutes again. (Now, in the interest of total honesty, I did have to stop running during my first five minute interval, but just for a few seconds and then I started up again.) People, that is sixteen total minutes of running!! I am pretty impressed with myself. But more than being impressed with my ability to do it, I am impressed with my desire to do it. My next run will be on Sunday, and I am totally looking forward to it! I don't care whether I go alone up and down the street, or if Phil and I take the kids to a track like we did last week. I love for the kids to see us doing something healthy for ourselves. Anyway, when I mentioned doing this in my earlier post, I had my doubts whether or not I would see it through. So far, so good is the report I have today. I am looking forward to seeing this through now. And if I can do it, anyone can do it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment