Monday, March 17, 2008

An Easter Miracle...

...or perhaps the Luck of the Irish, since it is St. Patty's Day. Either way, we have experienced a minor miracle here in our home today--Nathan has let me cut his hair! It has been nearly S-I-X months since we last had haircut fun, and we swore we were not going to do that again. No haircuts until he said it was okay. So, today while getting ready to go to the store (again), I was combing his hair and I said something about how it was getting so long we could put in a ponytail like a girl, and he said he was NOT a girl, he was a BOY. And I said that if he wanted to look like a boy, then we needed to cut his hair. (This is a conversation we have had several hundred times over the past 6 months.) He said he didn't want to go to the haircut place, and I told him we didn't have to go there, that Mommy could cut it here, in his very own house. And, I would get him a toy when we went to the store later. He thought for a second, and then said that would be Okay. Stupefied and fully expecting him to change his mind any second, I ran for scissors. I set him up in one of his small chairs in his room, watching a video, and with only a few seconds of timidity on his part and some easy persuasion and reassurance on mine, I began to trim the back. I was praying the whole time he would at least let me finish the back...I could totally visualize him running around with only half of the back of his hair cut!! But he did let me finish, and then to my amazement, he let me cut the sides too! Needless to say, it doesn't look as good as a professional cut, but it involved absolutely no screaming or fighting, and only one or two quick tears, so I am completely okay with how it looks. When we got done, I told him that that is all a haircut is, and it wasn't so bad, was it? And he was fine about it. Maybe when we go back to Jennifer's place next month, he will let her trim it up a little, and get the uneven parts cleaned up. But until then, the mullet is history, and the hair on the sides of his head is not in his eyes anymore. Here are some shots of the finished product:

I am immensely proud of him for finally overcoming this fear. I am amazed every day at how big his is getting, so much a little boy now and not a baby anymore. And I am a little impressed with my barbering skills. If the nursing thing doesn't work out, I could alway go to beauty school!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Nice work. I can't image what it must be like to struggle with a hair cut all the time, poor kid.

Keep up the good work, maybe he'll grow out of the fear. Good luck!