Saturday, September 6, 2008
Workaholic
Sorry for all the silence lately; I must have somewhere along the line added "Totally Insane" to the list of words with which I can describe myself. Either that or the threat of poverty has caused a break with reality. I have been working like a fiend this past week, and as a result have been too tired to do anything more than breathing and sleeping, so blog posting was out. My poor family has been sorely neglected, as have the house and dog since last Friday. I worked my usual Friday/Saturday nights, and then after only one night off, went back to work on Monday night and Tuesday night. Since the kids are only in child care for about 6 hours on any given weekday, that led to a frightening lack of sleep leading up to my shift Tuesday night. I just wanted to see if I could do it, though, because this whole working-every-weekend gig is really starting to get on my nerves. Turns out, me working 2 in a row during the week and not allowing for adequate sleep before the second shift is an amazingly bad idea. I was fine during the actual work part (for which I am sure my patients are thankful), but the drive home Wednesday morning was a blur and Wednesday evening ranks pretty close to the top of the list of times I am not very proud of my behavior. Let's just say that Nate took the brunt of Mom's sleep deprivation. He seems unscathed, but I'm not. So anyway, Thursday we barely made it out of our jammies, and never made it out of the house further than the mailbox, and the same goes for Friday. Well, at least until I had to clean up, load up, and head back to work for my regular shift. The upside of all of this (however small) is that I should be into overtime after about 2 hours tonight, and I can put up with a lot of stuff for the amount of money that entails. Worth it? Not a chance. I will find very little comfort in my next paycheck. If any of you ever catch wind of me thinking I may want to try this shenanigan again EVER, please direct my attention to this post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment